An end to the 2007 Lambing Season

...and so the 2007 lambing season draws to a close. A humbling end to a great lambing season. Our last ewe to lamb was our "baby", who Dylem had named "Wren" when he was on an all day bird kick. She was the youngest of the whole pack and we were looking forward to seeing her become a mom like the rest of our girls. One rainy morning, Jim left early to go to work in another county. Dylem ended up waking up extra early so after a quick pre-breakfast snack of Cheerios we were off for the barn to do our chores. Dylem was enjoying walking in the warm rain and splashing with his "firetrucks", which are his blue mud boots that have firetrucks on them. Milking bucket in my hand I reached the door of the barn, opened it and began to set my bucket down...that is when I saw her. Our the back door of the barn was my little ewe laying in the rain with the head of her lamb out but nothing else. For those of you who might need a little "lambing 101" this is not good to just see the head as you typically see feet first (hopefully front feet) followed closely by the nose and head. With the shoulders back the ewe had not been able to have her baby. Thankfully Dylem was distracted by a tractor that was in the barn and I was able to catch the ewe and get her moved into a pen inside the barn. I secured her and began getting her into position so that I could examine her and see if there was any way I could help her get the baby out...not happening on the first try. It was then that I decided to just go into damage control mode. Don't freak, milk the cow, feed the chickens, feed the dog and bottle lambs, wash everything up and then concentrate on the ewe again. I placed a quick call to Jim hoping he had some kind of wisdom I had not yet thought of but he just echoed my gut feeling, "just do the best you can". Dylem and I went back to the barn and Dylem was intent on helping me. I was very nervous about what Dylem would see and the questions that he would ask about our activities, but thankfully God was with us and Dylem took it all in stride...just like every farmer eventually learns to do. I positioned the ewe on her side, whispered a prayer to God and calming words to my little ewe and told her we would get through this together. Sparing you all the details I was eventually able to get the baby lamb out of the ewe and she seemed quite relieved. Dylem and I went to the vet's office for some pain relief for her and I am happy to say that she is now out and about with the rest of the flock. We are so happy that her life was able to be spared. Sometimes life in general...not just on the farm... is like that, you have to learn to be thankful for the things that do turn out good and put the rest behind you.

Website Content © 2006-2019 Rocky Glade Farm.  •  Site by Devon Weller